If you’re looking to lose weight, improve your health, and reduce the risk of heart disease or cancer then a plant-based diet might be exactly what you need.
But how do you know where to start?
When people go from eating meat at every meal to plant-based meals, they often find themselves at a loss on how to begin and what to eat. There are many different types of plant-based diets out there, each with their own pros and cons. Not only that, but it can be hard to stick with a new lifestyle change like this if you don’t have support from friends or family. It may seem like a lot of work to go plant-based, but in reality, it’s not that hard and you’ll feel better than ever!
Here is some information on transitioning to a plant-based diet so that you can get started as soon as possible!
1) Read up on a plant-based diet and how it can help your health. Get started
2) Think about what your favorite foods are now, then find plant -based versions of them or new dishes using plants instead of animal products. If you love Chinese food here are some great plant-based recipes
3) Bring along snacks or meals for when you’re out at parties so you don’t have to eat any animal products if there isn’t anything else available.
4) Tell friends/family/coworkers about why you’ve gone plant-based, they might be more supportive if they know why! Some reasons
5) Find an online community for vegans and vegetarians so you can talk to others about your feelings and experiences. Click here for VSSJ’s Face book community
6) Find at least one recipe that’s plant-based, then make it! Maybe even share the recipe with friends or post it on social media.
7) Educate yourself on plant-based nutrition facts – learning about what you’re eating makes you more likely to stick with your plan. Click here for nutrition tips.
8) Keep an open mind while transitioning – some people may not understand why you’ve gone plant-based or they may say it’s too difficult, but your health is the most important thing so don’t let anyone get in the way of your goals!
9) Don’t let fear get in the way of going plant- based. There are so many great foods you can eat, so there’s no reason to hold yourself back!
The transition to a plant-based diet can be overwhelming at first. However, if you take the time to educate yourself about your new lifestyle and find recipes that work for you, it’s not hard to stick with this change in eating habits. The health benefits of adopting a plant-based diet are plentiful!
I hope these tips help guide you on your journey towards better health through plants rather than animal products.
written by Janet Erickson