What’s Going on in the Plant-Based World – Week of 04/18/21
- Philadelphia-based Marquis & Co.–a Latina-led vegan restaurant group that includes popular chain HipCityVeg, and Charlie was a sinner–will be implementing a $15 minimum wage across all its restaurants later in 2021. Instead of waiting for the federal wage to increase, the company is taking action to help families recover from the life-changing events of last year. Read more.
- A UK student has prevailed in a discrimination case she filed against her college. Fiji Willetts, studying animal management, was told to “study a unit on farming [animals] or fail.” The 18-year-old vegan said, “I couldn’t simply break my way of lively purely to pass a course.” Read more.
- If you have gone plant-based and hoped to lose weight, but haven’t, here are some possible reasons why. Read more.
- Actor Emmett J. Scanlan, of Peaky Blinders fame, has unveiled plans to his 96.8k Instagram followers to launch a vegan doughnut company. Read more.
- Activist and actress Alicia Silverstone renewed her demand for Starbucks to drop the current surcharge on vegan milk, stating “these charges may seem small, but they penalize customers who are making humane and environmentally friendly choices.” Read more.