About VSSJ and VSNJ
The Vegetarian Society of South Jersey (VSSJ) is an
all-volunteer, nonprofit, tax-exempt 501(c)(3) organization whose purpose is:
- Educational: To educate the public on the benefits
of a plant-based diet. Information is provided through literature,
videos, cooking classes, and speakers.
- Social: To provide opportunities for people to
meet, share meals, and to have fun.
- Supportive: To offer advice, encouragement, and
friendship to those in transition to a vegetarian diet.
Click here to join VSSJ!
Your membership supports our educational outreach and other programs, provides
great member discounts, and is tax-deductible!
VSSJ supports anyone in transition to a plant-based diet, no matter what stage they have
reached. We provide educational outreach and support to people from omnivore to
vegan. Our social events are primarily plant-based, as we endeavor to have food and
refreshments all attendees can enjoy. Group membership is probably closely split
between vegan and vegetarian, with some (veg-friendly) omnivores.
VSSJ events are open to the public, except when
noted as members only. Everyone is welcome: vegetarian, vegan, or veg-curious!
Since 1986, VSSJ has given to the community in many ways:
- Held health expos at Burlington County College, Rowan University, and Burlington
- Provided healthy food options at Appel Farm Arts & Music Festival, Country Living
Fair at Batsto Village, Burlington County Earth Fair, Whitesbog Blueberry Festival,
Franklin Township Community Day, and Olde Marlton Fall Festival, to name a few
- Provided informational displays and free literature at numerous libraries,
festivals, and farm markets
- Sponsored free monthly lectures and teen/children’s programs
- Participated in Whole Foods Market Meatless Mondays
- Supported other nonprofit activities: food kitchen, food drives, and animal
protection events via bake sales, supply drives, donations, and volunteer work
- Provided support for many people in transition to a vegetarian diet, or just trying
to eat healthier, via educational outreach at events, website, Facebook group and
page, email, phone, and mailing lists
- Held or sponsored cooking demos
- Held fun social events, including potluck dinners & picnics, restaurant outings, and
- Maintained a comprehensive vegetarian dining guide
The Vegetarian Society of New Jersey (VSNJ)
VSNJ was officially introduced at the first New Jersey VegFest on October 2, 2016
in Morristown. VSNJ was formed by a merger of VSSJ and The Central
Jersey Vegetarian Group (CJVG). VSSJ, including our existing
Vegetarian Neighbors and Atlantic Cape chapters, and CJVG are now
chapters of the new statewide group. Please contact us if
interested in helping out with an existing chapter, or with starting chapters
in Ocean County, north Jersey, and elsewhere. To volunteer, visit our
Get Involved page.
Officers & Coordinators
|Vice President - Operations:
||Maryellen & George Zitzler
|Vegetarian Neighbors Coordinators:
||Anne Dinshah & Sarah Filippi-Field
|Atlantic Cape Chapter Coordinator:
||Cathie Myers, Matt Wildman (Outreach)
|Warren County Coordinator:
Page last update:
March 04, 2017